“We thought he had simply sprayed it across the space, however my son got here down from upstairs and noticed the fowl seemed like she was dunked with water,” defined Bonura. “Then we realized what occurred.” Christopher had actually soaked the fowl with liquid, who was already having issue respiratory. Bonura knew step one was a go to to her native veterinarian, who referred her to the Veterinary Medical Middle of Lengthy Island (VMCLI), and her first name was to the Pet Poison Helpline. As soon as on the VMCLI, docs instantly bathed the fowl and positioned her on oxygen.
“Taking Tequila to a veterinarian instantly after publicity to the spray in all probability saved this fowl’s life,” mentioned Dr. Ahna Brutlag, a board-certified veterinary toxicologist at Pet Poison Helpline. “They instantly positioned the fowl in an oxygen chamber and bathed Tequila in Daybreak dishwashing detergent. Whereas Daybreak is just not formulated as a pet shampoo, it’s typically used to scrub up absolutely anything lined in oil, together with birds, sea turtles and human pores and skin. We additionally beneficial that they test her blood glucose as there’s a small quantity of ethanol in Febreze and ingestion may doubtlessly trigger hypoglycemia.”
“I do not assume we have seen an avian Febreze poisoning earlier than,” mentioned Dr. Christine Stambler at Veterinary Medical Middle of Lengthy Island. “When Tequila arrived at our hospital, she was experiencing respiratory misery signs, and due to the distinctive sensitivity of birds to spray merchandise, we knew our first precedence was getting her into an oxygen cage. As soon as she was stabilized, we may work on eradicating the substance from her feathers.” Febreze is a secure product to be used round pets, when used as directed. Proctor and Gamble, the producer of Febreze, has veterinary professionals accessible to reply pet-related questions on any of their different merchandise and could be reached by calling 1-833-224-2018. Tequila’s care included SQ fluids and nebulization therapies, and he or she was additionally began on an antibiotic to assist deal with a doable secondary an infection.
Pet Poison Helpline created “Toxin Tails” to teach the veterinary neighborhood and pet lovers on the numerous sorts of poisoning risks dealing with pets, each out and in of the house. All of the pets highlighted in “Toxin Tails” have been efficiently handled for the poisoning and totally recovered. Tequila made a whole restoration, and the household could be very pleased with the therapy and care they acquired at VMCLI, particularly Christopher, who realized a priceless lesson about chemical merchandise and pets.
About Pet Poison Helpline
Pet Poison Helpline, an animal poison management middle primarily based in Minneapolis, is offered 24 hours, seven days per week for pet house owners and veterinary professionals who require help treating a doubtlessly poisoned pet. The employees supplies therapy recommendation for poisoning circumstances of all species, together with canines, cats, birds, small mammals, giant animals and unique species. As essentially the most cost-effective choice for animal poison management care, Pet Poison Helpline’s charge of $65 per incident contains follow-up consultations during the poison case. Pet Poison Helpline is offered in North America by calling 800-213-6680. Further data could be discovered on-line at www.petpoisonhelpline.com.
Contact: Maja Ferrell
Pet Poison Helpline
SOURCE Pet Poison Helpline