HOPKINTON, R.I. — About 80 birds died of smoke inhalation in a fireplace early Thursday at a Rhode Island chicken sanctuary, however a whole lot of others survived, fireplace officers mentioned.
Firefighters responded to the blaze on the Foster Parrots Ltd. and the New England Unique Wildlife Sanctuary in Hopkinton at about 5:30 a.m., Ashaway Hearth Assistant Chief Todd Allen informed The Solar of Westerly.
The hearth was contained to 1 part of the constructing, nobody was injured and a whole lot of birds in different areas of the constructing survived, he mentioned.
Hearth crews from a number of space departments helped sort out the blaze, which was underneath management by about 7:30 a.m.
Due to the sanctuary’s location, firefighters used pumper and tanker vans in rotation to ship water collected from close by ponds, Allen mentioned.
The reason for the fireplace stays underneath investigation however just isn’t thought of suspicious.
Foster Parrots on its web site says it homes and cares for parrots and different unique birds which were abused or given up by homeowners who can now not look after them.